HEART OF LA DEMOCRATIC CLUB STATEMENT ON THE NOMINATION OF BRETT KAVANAUGH TO SUPREME COURT
THE BAD NEWS
This week, President Trump nominated DC Circuit Court of Appeals judge and longtime right-winger Brett Kavanaugh to replace retiring Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy.
Don’t let the 53-year-old father of two girls fool you: Kavanaugh is an extremist. He is so extreme that over 400 (and growing) students, faculty and alumni of Yale Law school (Kavanaugh’s alma-mater) wrote an open letter denouncing him. He was hand-picked by the Federalist Society, the powerful legal organization whose number one goal is moving US courts far to the right. He has proven through his well-documented career that when given the chance, he will turn back the clock on our fundamental rights.
Here’s just a small but powerful sampling of what’s at stake:
- The dismantling of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), by removing popular and critical components, such as protections for people with pre-existing conditions and disabilities, and the ability of the government to provide Medicare/Medicaid thus putting millions of Americans, including our senior population at great risk.
- The overturning of Roe v. Wade, thus eliminating all women’s right to choose what happens to their own bodies. 70% of Americans do not want Roe v. Wade overturned.
- Protections for consumers (in a 2016 opinion, Kavanaugh wrote that the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is a “threat to individual liberty”).
- Protections against discrimination, including protections for LGBTQ+ persons.
- Protections for workers. Llast year, he ruled against employees' right to bring a lawsuit under the Occupational Safety and Health Act retaliation provision, and wrote that employers can deny employees their right to picket.
- Significantly, he argued that sitting presidents can’t be criminally indicted and should have absolute power over any independent investigation of themselves.
- The list goes on and on and on. You’ll find links to articles at the bottom of this post.
WE’RE IN THIS TOGETHER
Organizations such as NARAL, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, the NAACP, the American Constitution Society, the Alliance for Justice,and The National Urban Leagueare fighting back. We are joining them in our common cause to make phone calls to Senators throughout the county to demand that this dangerous judge be denied a vote, at least until after the Tuesday, November 6 midterms, invoking the “McConnell” rule. Remember Merrick Garland.
It’s all hands on deck time. We need you to make calls. Below is a link to how to contact your own senators. If your senator is a Democrat, thank him or her for fighting. They really appreciate this and it helps them know that they are representing your interests.
If he or she is a Republican, speak from the heart. Tell your senator that you oppose Kavanaugh and you want NO VOTE UNTIL AFTER NOVEMBER. If you have extra time (really, each phone call only takes a few minutes), call Senators in other states, especially potential Republican swing voters such as Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski.
HOW TO MAKE CALLS to #SaveSCOTUS
- Indivisible has a Sign Up for a #SaveSCOTUS Phonebank Shift
- Sign up for to TEXT #SaveScotus with Resistance Labs
- Call Senators using the NAACP Phone Bank
- Call My Congress links you directly to your Elected Officials
- 5 CALLS has a script and direct links to make calls
- Here is the direct link for contact information for ALL US Senators
- Here’s who’s on the Senate Judiciary Committee:
Links to articles
- NOW.org: Stop SCOTUS. Save ROE v WADE
- ShondaLand: How to Stop Trump's Supreme Court Nomination
- Lamda Legal: We Reviewed All of Judge Kavanaugh’s Record. Here's What We Found.
- Yale Law School Students, Faculty and Staff Letter Against Kavanaugh nomination
- Washington Post: Kavanaugh is Radically Conservative. Here's the Data to Prove it.